Please follow these steps to ensure that your tooth is well healed and reduce any possible post-operative pain, with or without grafting:
|+ Keep the area clean by gently rinsing with clean cold temperature water for 5-7 days|
+ Switch to warm water rinsing after 2 consecutive days of swelling improvement
+ Liberally use ice packs on cheek area, hold some ice cubes in your mouth for day 1
+ Take painkillers (details below), especially NSAIDs like ibuprofen and painkillers like paracetamol.
+ Brush your teeth as normal, except the wound site
+ Bite on the provided gauze for at least 10-15 minutes after taking your teeth out. And put new ones as needed if bleeding cannot be controlled.
+ Buy Savacol mouth rinse and rinse it 2-3x a day minimum 2-3 weeks or until mucosal healing – this will make things heal uneventfully
+ Eat and drink as normal as possible, cold to room temperature foods
+ Take the prescribed medicines
|- Eat until the numbness has completely worn off (if you are hungry it is recommended to have liquids instead in this period).|
- Smoke or vape (it makes things worse)
- Eat and drink hot foods (if it can burn your lips, it is too hot!)
- Eat on the area where the tooth/teeth had just been taken out (i.e. if we take tooth out on you left hand side chew on the right hand side more)
- Drink alcohol for 24 hours after surgery
- Strenuous exercises 24 hours after surgery
- Look at your wound
- Brush on the wound site itself -> introduction of movements which can make things heal slower!
- Play any sports until otherwise
- Blow your nose if you have an upper tooth taken out as there is a possibility of having a OAC (oral-antral communication), where you make a tunnel between your sinus and your mouth (not fun, but it is recoverable.)
You as the individual control the inflammation, if you don’t be on point with these instructions it will make the swelling (and pain) last longer
Recommended way to take your painkillers:
Mild pain (niggling sensation, discomfort but a bit annoying):
2x 500mg of Panadol/paracetamol 3-4 times a day
Moderate pain (starting to affect eating, slight sleep disturbances, bearable but uncomfortable)
2x 500mg of Panadol/paracetamol or panadine forte PLUS 2x 200mg Neurofen/ibuprofen 3-4 times a day
Severe: contact us and we will advise you on what to take
We wish you all the best from your recovery! Please do not hesitate to contact our office if you have any questions.