Congratulations on your new smile! It has been a long journey and we hope the end result was rewarding and worth it. Here are a few instructions on how to wear the retainers that you have given and why you would need to wear them:
- Do not eat with the retainers in your mouth. - Use a finger on each side of the retainer to remove it (not doing this will break the retainers).
- Full time wear for the first six months followed by night wear only for another six months. Then once or twice a week/fortnight for the rest of of your life (a new set of retainers will have to be made when the old ones break).
- One set of retainers are inclusive of the orthodontic treatment. If you break or lose the retainer a new set can be arranged for you with an additional charge.
Reason: Teeth will try to move back to its original position within the 2-3 years as the ligaments within your teeth will try to “spin” back. By wearing the retainers it will prevent your teeth from relapsing after all the hard work.
Cleaning Your Retainers
- Rinse under water regularly, use only the softest toothbrush with no toothpaste to clean it (toothpaste will introduce scratches to the retainer and will make the discolouration worse).
- Every 2-3 days soak your retainers in polident which will give it a deep clean through the crevices and gives it a fresher breath. Remember to rinse your retainer with clean water before wearing it.
If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact our office.